Nov 16, 2011

Broccoli Progress Report

Are you curious how my broccoli is doing?  Do you stay up late at night wondering if I have forgotten about the last green things I have growing in my garden?  If so, dear friends, this post is for you! =) 

If not, you might want to stop reading now.  Also, if you are really staying up late at night wondering about my broccoli, you might want to talk to someone about that.  Mainly, me.  Because I am pretty sure I am the only one who cares as much as you. 

It has been such a nice, long fall here in Kansas.  I haven't had to cover my broccoli yet, which is good.  One of the benefits of growing a fall crop is that it is usually cold enough to kill off a few pests. 

Some plants actually do better in the fall, because they don't like heat.  Broccoli is one of those plants that likes cold temperatures and will survive nights that get to freezing or a touch below with no protection. 

Here is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago, when I first planted it:


Kind of wimpy and pathetic, no?  Here are some pictures that I took yesterday:




Coming along quite nicely, don't you think?  No signs of the tender edibles yet, but I know that joyous occasion will be coming soon.  I have been giving them a boost of compost tea from my worms when I have it, because broccoli is a heavy feeder.  In non-gardening terms, that means it likes to eat as much as I do, and plant nutrients come in the form of fertilizer.  =) 

My nutrients come in the form of cheeseburgers.  Don't judge me. 

3 comments:

  1. Girl-you are crazy and that's why I love you! Broccoli cheddar soup sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Missouri gardener, we're practically neighbors. And I planted broccoli in the fall too. We were able to harvest enough to enjoy with our Thanksgiving dinner last weekend. How fun is that???

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Randall, you are obviously a much better planner than I am! That is awesome and should be my goal for next fall. :)

    ReplyDelete