Mar 30, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Almost a month since my last post, I can hardly believe that!  Spring has arrived in full force, and it was definitely time for me to do a little clean up!  Knowing how and when to prune your plants can be a bit of a challenge when you aren't sure what they are.  My tried and true method is to Google a description of the plant, look through images, and find one that looks just like your plant.  =)  Once you have the name, you can do a little more research on the plant in question. 

I pruned the rose bush I hate down to about a foot from the ground.  Please disregard the weeds.  They are next on my long spring to-do list. =) 


Hibiscus is supposed to be pruned down about a third in the spring.  Here you can see the before and after on the only plants in the front I like.  The longer I live here, the more irritated I become by the unfortunate plant choices that are in the front.  My shovel keeps calling my name.

 "Angela. Stop being a pansy and dig out the ugly plants."  - Your shovel

I found out this plant is a purple leaf sand cherry.  I can't prune it until after it flowers, which is currently happening. Finally, the daffodils and tulips are poking up again.

Oh gosh, the weeds!!!!  This mild winter gave them quite a head start... I better get to work.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about my favorite gardenerd and wondering what you have been up to in the yard :) Those tulips sure make me smile. And I'm confident you will have the bushes in front looking great in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! You have me wondering what I pruned last weekend and shouldn't have??? I'm so excited you'll be back with more frequency and I love the pansy pun:).

    ReplyDelete