Mar 31, 2011

Seedy Adventures

Get your mind out of the gutter!!!  OH, it was just me?  Sorry, I have the mentality of a middle-school student. Last night I decided to plant some seeds.  I had been scratching around a garden plan to see how many of each plant I would need.  Here is my plan:
I still have a few more seeds or plants to buy, and some of it has changed already.  That's the beauty of a garden plan: You should just assume you are going to throw it out the window.  I started planting seeds with a lot of enthusiasm.  So much enthusiasm that I forgot to really pay attention to what I was planting.  Minor problem.  LOL.  Luckily, I did lay out the seed packets in the order that I planted seeds. 
Above is the disorganized chaos that I had to try and make sense of.  I raced upstairs after planting 6 rows of seeds, grabbed a notebook, and walked calmly downstairs while muttering to myself and trying to remember what I had just done.  Frankly, I blame the seed starting tray.  There just isn't room for a thousand tiny labels in there.  So that threw me off my game.  Or something.  =)  Anywho, I was able to (hopefully) remember what I planted where, and continued on with my meticulous record keeping. 

This garden is doomed, isn't it?  

However, I am having a lot of fun doing everything and blogging about it.  I hope you are having fun laughing at my expense.  I think that is quickly becoming the point of this blog.  =)  

I took a few pictures of the seeds that, quite frankly, surprised me for one reason or another.  First up, carrot seeds:
Yes, you should plant a dime with your carrot seeds.  It helps them grow stronger.  Just kidding!!  The dime is there so you can notice exactly how tiny carrot seeds are... Who knew?  Not me, that's for sure.  Now jalapeno seeds:
 They look just like... JALAPENO seeds!!!  Again, I am sure this is common sense to someone, but I was really surprised by this.  I also didn't know if I needed to wash my hands after touching the seeds.  Note: There was nothing on the packet about this, but I did it anyway.  Also, please kindly ignore my misspelling of jalapeno above.  Apparently, I was tired.  Finally: green beans:
It is a big seed, and looks like a burnt pinto bean.  I hope that's not what grows in my garden. (Tonight's vegetable: burnt pinto beans, yum!)  Also, you should soak it overnight before planting to help with germination.  Just like you are supposed to soak pinto beans overnight before you cook them. 

I am suspicious of this bean, in case you can't tell.  If a giant beanstalk grows and you never see me again, blame the bean. 


Side note: My WH (wonderful husband) had a GENIUS idea to set up the shop light for our seed starting shelf with our Christmas light timer.  So now the light is going on at 6 and off at 8 with no one having to remember to take care of it!  Brilliant!! 

4 comments:

  1. Gotta love the handy husbands! and I love your middle school mentality-my mind didn't actually go there but you gave me a good chuckle. I can hardly wait to come over and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! I didn't open this post at work, just in case...LOL! I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I'm loving the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a funny girl and your husband IS wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete