Apr 19, 2011

Just call me Elmer...

One day last week I walked out to the garden.  The birds were chirping, the sun was shining, it was a perfect day, and I couldn't wait to look at my gardens progress.
Wow!  Everything is looking so great.  Check out the broccoli!
Looks great!  I had also planted a marigold recently.  They are supposed to repel some bugs, so I thought I would give it a try.  However, my poor marigold looked so sad!
It's hard to tell from this picture, but there are some clearly eaten off stalks.  Someone had been eating at my garden buffet.  Without my permission.  Note to all you readers out there: DON'T DO THAT!!!  Suddenly, Angry Angela made an appearance.  I am not a violent person by nature, but I envisioned taking shooting lessons, getting a gun, camping out overnight with my gun, and getting my revenge.  Yes, people, that's correct.  I turned into Elmer Fudd.

I checked around online, and it seems rabbits are a problem for a lot of gardeners.  One gardener said he believed on eating what was in your garden.  "If you have tomatoes, eat tomatoes.  If you can grow corn, eat corn.  If you have rabbits, eat rabbits!!"  Had I crossed the crazy line for agreeing with this man?  Perhaps.  Did I follow through with my vision?  Well, of course not.  That would take too much time, and my veggies would be gone by then.  A quick fence needed to be put up, though.   

Just a few supplies were needed. 1.) Fence posts
2.) Fencing material.  This one is called rabbit guard, but I got it because it was the best height and easiest to work with.
3.) Finally, you will need some wire to twist things together.  The fencing comes with some, and if you have wire cutters, you can use that.  I don't want this fence to be permanent, because I have to work around all the garden beds, and be able to access things.
Ignore the twine, you don't need that.  =)  Hammer the posts into the ground. Then, wind the fencing around, making sure that it is touching the ground.  Finally, close the fence with a few wire twists.  Voila!  Rabbit proof!  (I hope.)

Perhaps as a back up, I should start taking those shooting lessons.  =) 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo, it looks as if the Rabbit Guard fencing may work for a certain 30 inch tall toddler as well ;) I love all the things I learn from your blog!

    ReplyDelete